WHAT IS THE PELVIC FLOOR?
Your pelvic floor is made up of 3 layers that act as the hammock at the base of your pelvis. These muscles have 5 basic functions known as the 5 S’s:
Learning how to properly work these muscles, as well as learning how to relax them, is important for all of these functions.
WHY YOU NEED PELVIC FLOOR THERAPY
- To support healthy return to your normal daily life style
- Get back to an active sex life
- Improve physical and mental recovery during pregnancy and postpartum
- Ease your return to gym, crossfit, and group training programs
- Prevent any dysfunctions down the road
HOW PELVIC FLOOR PT CAN HELP YOU
It is important to get an evaluation by a Pelvic Floor Physical Therapist before, during, and after pregnancy. Your pelvic floor can become weak or tight just like any other muscle in the body. However, you may not notice these problems until you already have a dysfunction. Dr. Ortega believes that the best way to treat pelvic issues is to treat them before they become a problem! Preventative treatment is the best way to recover quickly from pregnancy with fewer complications.
EXAMPLES OF PELVIC FLOOR DYSFUNCTION
You may need pelvic floor physical therapy if you are experiencing one or more of the following:
- Painful intercourse
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Pelvic floor physical therapy is the treatment of dysfunction of 1 or multiple functions of the pelvic floor. Treatment is designed to address pain, tightness, and weakness in this area, in the way that you may be prescribed physical therapy for a knee injury or shoulder pain.
- A typical physical therapy session will be 1 hour, during which Dr. Adrianna Ortega will evaluate the alignment, strength, and flexibility of the muscles of the pelvic floor. Utilizing techniques such as internal myofascial release, muscle activation, stretches, breath, and education, Dr. Ortega is able to address any underlying dysfunction that may be contributing to your symptoms. All examinations and treatments are done in a one-on-one environment to ensure that your privacy and modesty are maintained throughout the session. The number 1 priority is that you feel safe in order to heal.
Force Physical Therapy has been providing concierge level physical rehabilitation services to the South Florida community since 2010. Utilizing a variety of traditional and contemporary treatment techniques, Force has been able to successfully treat clients from the elite athlete to the geriatric population.
Dr. Adrianna Ortega received her Doctorate of Physical Therapy from the University of Miami in 2019, and has been a part of the Force Physical Therapy team since January 2020. In addition to her degree, Dr. Ortega pursued continuing education from the Herman & Wallace Pelvic Rehabilitation Institute in order to treat pelvic floor disorders. Dr. Ortega has a passion for assisting women throughout their pregnancy and postpartum in order to help them feel their best.
“Last year, I began experiencing awful tingling around my groin area and had no idea that it was linked to my back injury, nor the fact that my pelvic floor had anything to do with it. Once Dr. Adrianna figured out what was happening, she immediately began educating me about the pelvic floor and everything finally started to make sense. It was a huge weight off my shoulders. Her strategy to heal me was through education and strengthening. Her approach made me feel more empowered than ever, as I finally knew how to control my pain.”
- Sarah D.
“After just a month of doing what Dr. Adrianna taught me, I feel 100% stronger. I really didn’t even know what I was missing out on! Sex feels better, exercising feels better, and squatting and picking up my babies feels better!”
- Rachel R.
“I fell down some stairs almost two years ago and really injured my tailbone. It never fully healed and I was unable to do the activities I could previously do with no problem, unable to sit normally and also developed low back pain. I was in physical therapy for the low back pain with another awesome PT at another location but plateaued with the level of progress for the tail bone pain. After doing some research that pelvic PT may be the type of PT I needed to fully heal, I pursued pelvic PT and found Adrianna. Adrianna is very professional, knowledgeable, disarming and easy to talk to which is definitely needed with this type of physical therapy. After only 3 sessions, I was able to sit normally again without pain, complete sit-ups (which I hadn't been able to even complete one since the injury) and also reduce the low back pain even more. I can not express my gratitude towards this type of physical therapy being offered and more specifically, with Adrianna. I highly recommend pelvic PT with Adrianna to address any pelvic floor issues, tailbone issues or low back pain issues you may be dealing with. It's very important to go to someone highly skilled with such an invasive type of PT and Adrianna is your person for that need! Thank you Adrianna!”